DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
The Department of Political Science at Rajarshi Shahu Mahavidyalaya, (Autonomous) Latur, is one of the best departments in Marathwada region. It is dedicated to understanding and explaining Indian politics in the context of current world and domestic issues. The department offers a bachelors degree course for rural and urban students. Students study the structure of local governments, state governments, central government, basic concepts and ideologies in politics, international relations, etc. We practice various learning activities such as seminars, group discussions, projects, debate-clubs, study tours, etc. to increase the analytical skills among the students. The department prepares the students to practice an effective democratic citizenship role. It has a vibrant students association.
The most notable feature of the work of the department is the close and constant association of students and college teachers in various study activities. The Department has always maintained links with college teachers and other post-graduate centers. Initiatives of the department shows awareness towards study of regional political realities in order to develop generalizations on the basis of these realities. The faculty members of the Department have consciously worked to develop the discipline of Political Science in Maharashtra and its terminology in Marathi. From the academic year 2017-18 the department has started a P.G. course in Political Science. The moto behind starting a P.G. course in Political Science is to provide an opportunity to the students to learn the subject in depth.
The syllabus of P.G. includes the subjects, topics of thrust area of the department. Goal and Objectives of the Dept. are as follows: Department of Political Science aims at building an academic community of students and teachers devoted to an open critical and analytical study of the discipline with an imphasis on inter¬disciplinary approach. It also aims at making courses relevant to social needs and to develop in the students an awareness of the basic issues and problems in the country. The goal of Political Science Department is to transmit knowledge of politics into students by offering courses and subjects to study. Courses are designed for students who desire a basic understanding of Indian government and citizenship.
Objectives of the Department :
1) Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts and principles of political science in the structures, institutions, and processes of the India and other nations.
2) Apply the knowledge of the discipline, using technology as well as traditional methods, to contemporary questions.
3) Organize ideas and focus them effectively on the issue in question.
4) Demonstrate an outstanding of verbal and written communicative, analytical and critical thinking skills in various academic and professional settings.
5) Recognize their personal value systems and apply these to their own social and political worlds.
6) Provide content for integrating skills for teacher preparation, graduate, and professionals.
Thrust Areas of the Department:
1) Indian Constitution
2) Indian Government System
3) Socio Economic Impacts on Indian Politics
4) Human Rights and Social Justice in India
5) World Politics and international relations
6) International organizations and role of India
7) Comparative Politics
8) Political concepts and ideologies
9) Syllabus of MPSC and UPSC
Student Centric Activities :
1) Establishment of mock parliament.
2) Study tours – state legislatures, parliament, etc.
3) Rajyashastra Abhyas Mandal.
4) Practicing democratic processes like elections, party politics, etc.
5) Competitions – Elocution, Debate, Essay Writting, etc.
6) Group Discussions
8) Guest Lecture